OVERCOME NEGATIVE BODY IMAGE
How can we overcome negative body image when society's expectations push us to have unrealistic perceptions of beauty? There is no manual or step by step guide to positive body image. While the journey to self-love and positive body image is long and often times challenging, it is more than possible. There may not be a guide to self-love, but through changing the way we define beauty and our mindset we can overcome negative body image.
- Affirm that your body is perfect the way it is.
- Think of your body as a tool. Rather than focusing on what it can't do, focus on what it does for you on a daily basis.
- Create a list of people you admire who have contributed to your life, community, or the world. Was their size important to their success and accomplishments?
- Don't let your size keep you from doing things you enjoy.
- Replace the time you spend criticizing your appearance with more positive and satisfying activities
- Let your inner beauty and individuality shine
- Take time to put yourself first.
- Avoid body bashing in social settings. Instead, focus conversations on positive traits of yourself and others
- Bodies come in all shapes and sizes, embrace what makes you unique
- Be your body's ally and advocate, not its enemy
- Beauty is not just skin deep. It is a reflection of the whole self. Love and enjoy the person inside.